- 2 pounds ground beef
- One 29-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 29-ounce can kidney beans (with liquid)
- One 29-ounce can pinto beans (with liquid)
- 1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup diced green chili (2 chilies)
- 1/4 cup diced celery (1 stalk)
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the fat.
- Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size pieces.
- In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3 hours.
- For spicier chili, add 1/2 teaspoon more black pepper.
- For much spicier chili, add 1 teaspoon black pepper and a tablespoon cayenne pepper.
- For a real stomach stinger, add 5 or 6 sliced jalapeno peppers to the pot.
- Leftovers can be frozen for several months.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA
unless otherwise noted.